A number of organisations in Hackney assist people with their debt problems.
These include things like:
- Helping people who have fallen behind with credit card repayments to contact their card provider to discuss the problem;
- Helping people to work out and make a comprehensive list of all of the organisations to whom they owe money (their creditors);
- Helping people to work out which of their debts are ‘priority’ or ‘non-priority’:
- ‘Priority debts’ are those debts that could have serious consequences if they are unpaid. Examples are not paying the rent or mortgage (which could leave you homeless) or not paying their gas or electricity bill (which could you being cut off and taken to court).
- ‘Non-priority debts’ are debts which have less serious consequences if not paid. Examples are overdrafts, loans, hire purchase, credit card accounts and catalogue debts. If you don't pay your non-priority debts you may still be taken to court.
You can find the names and contact details of Hackney based organisations that help people with their debt problems by searching for ‘debt’ in this website’s Advice Finder.